What is the Annual Report?
- New Mexico participates in the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Public Library Survey (PLS, a.k.a Annual Report), which is a federal survey used to collect data from U.S. public libraries.
- Examples of collected data: revenue, expenditures, number of library visits, number of circulations, collection size, hours open, staffing, technology, etc.
- Data has been collected annually since 1988.
- Approximately 9,000 U.S. public libraries with about 17,000 branches submit surveys.
- The New Mexico State library currently recognizes 97 public and tribal public libraries across the state. This number includes developing public libraries.
When is the Annual Report Completed?
- The survey is completed annually and opens July 1 and runs through mid-August.
- Data collected covers the previous fiscal year’s activities (July 1 through June 30).
Why is the Annual Report Completed?
- Completing and submitting the Annual Report serves as a recognized public library's application for State Grants-in-Aid.
- Information provided in the Annual Report must be complete and accurate.
- All recognized New Mexico public libraries Annual Reports will be checked for accuracy.
- Inaccurate information may affect state aid eligibility.
- Data collected is used to observe when, where, and how library services are changing to meet public needs.
- The IMLS compiles collected data into a national annual report. See reports online at the IMLS.gov website under publications.
- Information collected is useful to not only the libraries, but to federal, state & local policymakers, etc. for planning, funding, evaluation, policy making, and supporting libraries.
How is the Annual Report Completed?
- Surveys are completed online using Baker & Taylor’s Bibliostat CollectConnect.
- Username and password are required.
- Username and password stay the same each year and are are emailed to library director's as July 1 approaches.
Contact the New Mexico State Library Development Bureau with any questions, 1-800-340-3890 or SL.Development@dca.nm.gov.