IMPORTANT: Data entered must ONLY cover FY23 library business and activities (July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2023).
- The New Mexico State Library (NMSL) participates in the national Public Library Survey (PLS) operated by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and compiled by the American Institute for Research (AIR).
- The data collected is used at various levels for planning, evaluating, and budgeting.
- Federally required questions are in NAVY font and State questions are in BLACK font. This helps when it is necessary to leave detailed notes. Federal questions (navy font) must have notes entered under the FEDERAL tab, while State questions (black font) must have notes entered under the STATE tab.
- Better known as the Annual Report, the PLS serves as the State Grants-in-Aid application for recognized New Mexico Public Libraries.
- State grants-in-aid eligibility is determined using the 4.5.2 New Mexico Administrative Code (NMAC). Data entered must be accurate and based on records maintained by the library director and local financial officials.
- While navigating the survey, to see the specifics of what each question is asking, click the gray ? circle. Once clicked, a pop-up box will appear with the corresponding definition and other relevant information.
- Adherence to these definitions is important to ensure comparability of data from different libraries in New Mexico as well as libraries in others states and territories.
- Using estimates is important IF exact data is not available. If an exact figure is not available, but it is known that the total is greater than zero, enter an educated estimate and leave a detailed note indicating how the estimate was determined.
- ONLY enter "0" if the answer is truly zero or none. Enter N/A if an exact figure or estimate is not available.
- As information is entered, if any response is vastly different from the previous year or if using an educated estimate, please enter a detailed note in the corresponding FEDERAL or STATE tab explaining the reason, etc.
- Providing detailed and relevant notes is extremely helpful and appreciated. Click PREVIOUS YEAR in the Note feature to view the previous year's note.
- Inputting notes that do not reflect the information being asked or an edit check issue is not acceptable.
- Click SHOW LAST YEAR'S ANSWERS to have LAST YEAR'S ANSWER appear below the text box.
Email State Data Coordinator Carmelita Aragon at Carmelita.Aragon@dca.nm.gov with any questions about the survey contents.
For Technical questions or issues/errors while accessing the survey in Bibliostat CollectConnect, please call Product Support at 1-866-785-9935.